Saturday, March 22, 2008

The City Of The Week


The tape has been broken and our legs are moving! It is time to set off on a journey across the United States. Whether you are running, walking (or using the elliptical) it is time to get yourself in gear. If it means waking up earlier or missing your favorite evening show you need to make the time. I am not going to force you to walk 6 miles a day (unless you are like me and a little anal about doing things perfect) but I would like you to try. If you don't want to focus on the miles then focus on the time. For example: My plan is to walk for 1 hour in the morning during my scheduled workout time (at 3 m/hr) . Take a half hour walk after lunch and a half hour walk after dinner.


However you decide to do this... we are doing this together. Look to each other for inspiration, help, laughter and friendship. Leave comments and let us know how you are doing. EVERY MONDAY please make sure to post your total miles/hours for the week so that I can keep track of where you are.


The number 12 seems to be our lucky number in this challenge! There are 12 cities and 12 walkers.... lets make ourselves proud!!



Now, on to our first city on the map. San Francisco!! Here is what we have to look forward to. Fast forward to the end if you are just wanting to see this cities challenge.




The Golden Gate Bridge








Crossing the strait of the Golden Gate from San Francisco to the Marin headlands for 1.7 miles is the world-renowned Golden Gate Bridge, easily identified by its International Orange color. Opened in 1937, the bridge was built at a cost of $33 million and 10 workers' lives. The single-suspension span is anchored off the shores of the bay by twin towers that reach skyward 750 feet, and was once taller than any building in San Francisco. To support the suspended roadway, two cables more than 7,000 feet in length, containing 70,000 miles of wire stretch over the top of the towers and are rooted in concrete piers on shore. Ten years in planning due to formidable opposition, but only four years in actual construction, the Golden Gate Bridge brought the communities of San Francisco and Marin counties closer together.




Of course we cant do all that walking without a little relaxation!!




Check out the mud baths over at Golden Haven Hot Springs.








At Calistoga’s Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa, couples can enjoy the mud baths together. Each of our treatment rooms accommodate two persons so you can share this wonderful Napa Valley spa experience in privacy with your companion only a few inches away. Calistoga mud baths have been a tradition, a way of life since the time of the Mayacamas Indians. The combination of clay, peat and hot springs mineral waters in the mud bath relaxes muscles and joints, detoxifies, and leaves the skin soft and renewed.




And who wouldn't want to sit down at a table for a nice glass of wine with friends!!










Located on a picturesque stretch of the Silverado Trail, the Black Stallion estate recalls the rustic charm of early California. The 11-acre estate property is framed by century-old olive trees and landscaped with natural grasses and Mediterranean plants. The winery grounds are surrounded by five acres of estate vineyards, planted with malbec, petite verdot and cabernet franc to support a signature Meritage blend still in development. A spectacular sculpture of a black stallion in motion is positioned at the entrance to the winery, against a backdrop of volcanic-era stone walls festooned with creeping figs. Guests can sample Black Stallion wines around a large circular tasting bar or relax on the
terrace. The hospitality center is equipped with two private tasting rooms and a private lounge for club members. The winery offers a variety of private event opportunities, including private tours and tastings, lunches and dinners

To learn more about San Francisco take a look at this website .... its where I found all of this!



THE CHALLENGE




When people talk about the "Seven Hills" of San Francisco, they refer to the seven original hills: Telegraph Hill, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Rincon Hill, Mount Sutro, Twin Peaks and Mount Davidson



Its time to walk one of these hills. Before we leave San Francisco and head on to the next city we have to do one of these:



1.. walk on the treadmill at the highest grade for 15 minutes



2.. find a hill in your neighborhood and walk up and down for 15 minutes...if you cant find a hill then do lunges!



3.. if you are doing this challenge using an elliptical/bicycle or any other machine then try it at a higher level for 15 minutes. Even if it means slowing down.









































16 comments:

Susie said...

Oh..the wine and mud baths sound great. Ok..good luck to all. This is just the kick in the butt I needed..so thank you Tigerlily for your hard work and efforts in putting a cool challenge together!! SAN FRAN HERE WE COME!!

debby said...

Hi Tigerlily and all! I was so excited about starting this that I got out of bed to see if there was a new post about starting! (Plus i was a little hungry...)Anyways, not sure how i'll do, but gonna give it a good try. I'm a nurse who leaves the house at 5am and gets home at 9pm, so hard to get all 6 miles in on the days I work. But i got myself a good pedometer, and with walking to and from the parking lot, plus a good walk at lunch break, i got a total of 4 miles in the other day. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Jill A said...

Is it weird that I'm scared????

Seriously, I don't want to let you down TL!!

Okay, here I go..!!!

Cricky said...

I am psyched!
13 will have to be our new lucky number, my sister decided to join us. Her blog is - http://www.recoveryofjena.blogspot.com/
I can not wait to get through this program.

Tigerlilly said...

First off... GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!... I am super excited to get this started. I know it seems a little scary, but I have faith that each one of you will try your hardest.. and that is what counts!!

Welcome to our lucky 13th member Jena!!!

Military Mom said...

Hi All!

Are we reporting our miles in the comments? If so, I can say I did my 6 miles today (Monday)! It took me 98 minutes on the treadmill. Tomorrow I plan to break it up by getting up earlier and walking before work in the morning. It will be hard because I have to be to work at 0700, but I will give it my best shot.

Thanks Tigerlilly, this is just the motivation I needed!

Tigerlilly said...

Great Job Military Mom!!

I got my 6 miles in too.. I devided them up into 3 different walks during the day. I feel great right now!!

Susie said...

Tigerlily, can I get the code (html) for one of those pretty "walk the world" badges you have on here? I am thinking about making a ticker, but thought it would be nice to see it on my blog. Ummm..ya I didn't get 6 miles in...but I tried to be more active. Hope all are doing well!!

Jill A said...

Hey TL! Thanks for the pep talk - I appreciate it. I got in 2 miles yesterday in 40 minutes on the treadmill, hoping to work up to 3 miles in 45 minutes - totally doable if I just push it a little more. It may take me awhile to get there, but I know I can do it.

Hey 40X40 - I just tell myself that someone has to come in last and it will probably be me!! But you can be last with me if you want!

Jill A said...

oh yeah, I almost forgot - can I get the tag for the last button? Thanks!!! =)

Cricky said...

I did 30 minutes last night...tonight I'm going for an hour.

debby said...

Hi Tigerlily and all, Well, after 2 12 hour work shifts and a long commute for the first two days, i managed to log 3 miles Monday, and 3.5 miles today. I'm pretty satisfied with that, but now to make up for lost time...I can tell you I wouldn't have gotten that much walking/jogging in if I didn't have the challenge/accountability of all of you! I'm excited about our journey.

debby said...

Hi all! Well, after starting out the week with 2 12-hour work shifts and a long commute, I managed to log 3 miles Monday, and 3.5 miles today. I am pretty satisfied with that, but now i've got a bit of catching up to do! I wouldn't have gotten that far without all of you for the challenge and accountability! I'm looking forward to our journey!

Jill A said...

Hey gang! Did 2 more miles last night on the TM! 2 days in a row - I think I'm on a hot streak!!

Tigerlilly said...

Yahoo!! You guys are doing awesome. Keep it up!

Susie said...

Jill- so funny that you said that about coming in last b/c I had already thought about that and it brought back so many gym class memories of being the LAST one in for everyting--30 yard dash..and the mile..and so on.. Anyway..if I am last, it's ok. I just want to DO MORE..like ya'll said.
So..becasue of this..I took the dogs for a long walk and went to the gym and did the eliptical!!! My steps were 12,572 --and yes many of them were AERBOBIC!!!! WOOOO HOOO..thank you for the motivation. ANyone using a ticker for this? I was tring to find one with hills or a bridge..but couldn't..I will soon be posting this stuff on my 40x40 motivates page. KEEP WALKING GALS!!!:) THANK YOU FOR THE MOTIVATIONA ND ENCOURAGEMENT!!