Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Benefits of Walking

Hi Girls!!

You are rocking this challenge. Some of you have said that you are feeling a little overwhelmed with the number of miles. I just wanted to remind everyone that the whole purpose of this challenge is to get you moving. So, if you cant walk 6 miles a day (and if you are just starting to exorcise you may not be able to) then do an aerobic exorcise. A 1 hour aerobics class or DVD counts as 3 miles. If you want to walk but live in cold weather, no gym or lacking motivation then go to the store and buy a walking DVD. In one hour you can walk 3 miles in your living room! (This is great for those of you with young children!) I used a walking DVD before getting my treadmill... I have two walking DVD workouts and one Dance and Sculpt workout by Denise Austin. (I will say that I cannot stand Denise Austin so I am happy to give away her workouts! BUT they are good workouts!) The first people to email me their mailing address and which workout they want will get them in the mail next week!



Now... I have been keeping track of my miles every day on the blog... you can too. Just leave the amount of time or miles that you moved that day in the comments section of the newest post and I will update in the morning. If you would rather just wait until Monday to tell us, you are welcome to do that too!



Walk-On!





Benefits of Walking


Walking for fitness can help you achieve a number of important health benefits. For example, you can:

Reduce your risk of a heart attack. Walking keeps your heart healthy by lowering low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol) and raising high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol). A regular walking program also reduces your risk of developing high blood pressure, a factor that also contributes to heart disease.

Manage your blood pressure. If you already have high blood pressure, walking may reduce it.
Reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Regular exercise reduces your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. If you're a woman, overweight and at a high risk of diabetes, walking can improve your body's ability to process sugar (glucose tolerance).

Manage your diabetes. If you already have type 2 diabetes, taking part in a regular walking program can improve your body's ability to process sugar, lower your blood sugar, reduce your risk of heart disease and help you live longer.

Manage your weight. Walking burns calories, which can help you manage your weight. For example, middle-aged women who walk more than 10,000 steps a day have lower levels of body fat than do women who are less active.

Manage stress and boost your spirits. Going for a brisk walk is a great way to reduce stress. Regular walking also can reduce feelings of depression and anxiety.

Stay strong and active. As you get older, walking for physical fitness can prevent falls, help you stay mobile and maintain your independence.

8 comments:

Military Mom said...

Hey! I am up to 13.5 miles this week! I'll get the other 4.5 miles in this afternoon.

lisah said...

OK, Janie and I have finally left the starting line....status thus far:

Janie 3
Lisa 4

Cricky said...

my ankles hate you....I'm just saying. :)

Tigerlilly said...

Hahaha... I hope its a good kinda hate! LOL

debby said...

YAHOO! I did it! Took my 3 mile walk this morning, and then I had just about talked myself out of going tonite, and I thought, I'll check and see if anyone has posted anything today, and that gave me just the boost I needed to get out and do the second 3 miles--thanks everyone for the motivation! and thanks Tigerlily for the great article on the benefits of walking! I leave for vacation tomorrow--I'm really hoping to keep up the walking.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Can I ride an exercise bike ...

hard to walk 1 mile let alone 6 with twins who can only tolerate the stroller for so long and it is still too hot in Australia - I'd bake them.

Great information - in winter I might have more luck.

My Little Drummer boys

Jill A said...

Hey Everyone!
I did 2 more miles last night AND I even cut one whole minute off my time - see, I am getting faster haha!!

Military Mom said...

Got up to 5.75 yesterday. I actually ran 2.75, but I am counting my squadron PT class as 3 miles because it was HARD yesterday; 1 Hour of weights and cardio.