Sunday, April 20, 2008

Denver , Colorado

SOME FACTS ABOUT THE MILE HIGH CITY:



Denver has the nation's largest city park system, with more than 200 parks within city limits and 20,000 acres of parks in the nearby mountains -- an area larger than all of Manhattan Island.

Denver has 300 days of bright sunshine a year -- more annual hours of sun than San Diego or Miami Beach.

Denver International Airport is the nation's largest -- 53 square miles, an area so large it could hold the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport and Chicago O'Hare Airport combined.


Date Founded: November 17, 1858
Date Incorporated: November 7, 1861
Population: 501,700
Land Area: 154.63 square miles
Elevation: 5,280 feet
Average Annual Rainfall: 15.4 inches
Average Annual Snowfall: 55.4 inches Average
Average February Temperature: 33 degrees F
Average August Temperature: 72 degrees F
Average Sunshine Days: 300+
Major Industries: Communications, Utilities, Transportation


CHALLENGE:

In honor of the Mile High City I want you to try and walk/run a mile as fast as you can. Make it a point to time your previous mile... and then beat it!! Can you walk a 15, 13 or 12 min mile?? Give it a try.. I dare you!!

16 comments:

lisah said...

Slow and steady wins the race?

Lisa 8
Janie 11

Susie said...

Hello--wow--everyone is doing GREAT! This has really kept me moving so THANK YOU! Love the Denver Mile Challenge! Please add 13 miles to my total. I am now in San Fran and on the way to VEGAS,baby!(total 53?)

Military Mom said...

slowing down a bit, aren't I?

131 miles

debby said...

Hey guys, after a full day of quilting (life is tough!) I went out for my walk, and got my 6 miles in, and when I went to the mailbox, my new pedometer was there--whee! It works fantastic, accurate to within 1 step every time I counted to 100. It's an Omron HJ112.

Total miles:113. Yesterday took a complete day off, and boy did it feel good!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Hey! Sorry I am late on my Sunday check in. My total for this past week is 17.5 miles. Not too shabby for just everyday walking and chasing after the kids!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Oops, I meant to say that add 17.5 to what I already had. I had 17.5 for this past week alone.

Tiffany said...

I think a bonus challenge for Denver should be to ride your bike or walk to either work or for your daily errands. In Denver you can ride you bike from the Suburbs all the way into downtown Denver. The bike path actually gets so overused some people avoid it. Can you image an overused bike path?

Tigerlilly said...

Great idea Tiffany.. but I would have to walk/bike 34.5 miles to get to the closest store.. I'm not that ambitious! (especially since it is all on a curvy and dangerous highway)

Great job NATUI!! It brings you to a total of 19.5 miles!!

Debby... yeah for your new pedometer!! You are catching up to me pretty quick... I better get running! LOL

Military Mom... I know your only giving me a little bit of a head start before you run me over next week!

Lisa and Janie... fast and furious or slow and steady.. I dont care how you do it.. as long as your doing it!!

Susie... you'll be dancing in Vegas before you know it!! Keep going!!

Susie said...

Thanks for the encouragement and motivation to MOVE. You all are doing great. What is the verdict on biking? Does it count? Just count the minutes?

Chocolate Thistle said...

Hey, I'm still going!! Got 24 miles last week. Started a new job and not as able to keep up with the blog as I'd like to but this challenge is awesome and really getting me moving.

Cory said...

Sorry I haven't kept up online with the challenge. Believe it or not I'm actually at 65 miles so far. And I'll work on timing a mile later this week if I can get some school stuff taken care of.
By the way, I have the same pedometer Debby. I LOVE mine. I've even had to replace the battery!

Military Mom said...

134 miles!!!

Jill A said...

Okay ladies, here it is. Last week = 8 miles. Total miles = 32.

I HAVEN'T EVEN MADE IT TO THE FIRST CITY YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously considering dropping out of this challenge because really, the most miles I can get in a week is maybe 14 if I really work at it.

IT WILL TAKE ME A YEAR OR MORE TO REACH THE FINAL CITY!

ugh.

Fatinah said...

Yay - I finally made my first city!

Military Mom said...

140 miles-Yes, TL you are kicking my butt! I'll try to catch up this week.

debby said...

Total 135 Miles! I actually made it to Phoenix sometime midweek and didn't even realize it!