Sunday, April 27, 2008

St. Louis, MO




1) The Arch is the tallest national monument in the United States at 630 feet; it is the city's best known landmark and a popular tourist attraction.

2) Construction began February 12, 1963 and the last section of the Arch was put into place on October 28, 1965.

3) The Arch is a structure known as a catenary curve, the shape a free-hanging chain takes when held at both ends, and considered the most structurally-sound arch shape.

4) The span of the Arch legs at ground level is 630 feet, the same as its height.
Each year, approximately a million visitors ride the trams to the top of the Arch.

5) The trams have been in operation for over 30 years, traveling a total of 250,000 miles and carrying over 25 million passengers.

6) The Arch weighs 17,246 tons. Nine hundred tons of stainless steel was used to build the Arch, more than any other project in history.

7) The Arch was built at a cost of $13 million. The transportation system was built at a cost of $3,500,000.

8) In order to ensure that the constructed legs would meet, the margin of error for failure was 1/64th of an inch. All survey work was done at night to eliminate distortion caused by the sun's rays. Since the Arch was constructed before the advent of computer technology, relatively crude instruments were used for these measurements.

9) The Arch sways a maximum of 18" (9" each way) in a 150 mph wind. The usual sway is 1/2".

Learn more Gateway Arch Facts.



Yes, this is me. Eight years ago I went to St. Louis to do a mission with my church. While I was there I had to go to the top of the Arch... and the view from up there is unbelievable.

This weeks challenge will be a little different.... While in St. Louis I had the best time at a Christian Dance that was set up just for all of the missionaries there. So... the challenge:

I want you to DANCE. I dont care if its at a club, or in your kitchen. Turn up the music and get those legs moving for at least 20 minutes!

9 comments:

Jill A said...

HOLY SCHNIKES I MADE IT TO THE FIRST CITY!!!!!

Hey TL!! I took your advice and broke out the pedometer and got in some good work outs over the weekend, so now as of last night, I am at exactly 42 miles!! woohoo!! Yes, I did the challenge and it nearly kicked my butt, but I did it!!

Thanks for the encouragement - you rock!!

Tigerlilly said...

YAHOO JILL!!!!

I am so glad that you kept on walking!!

Susie said...

Welcome to SF JILL!!!! We can walk to Vegas together!! Glad you stuck with it! I can't find the cord that connects my pedometer to my computer..but when I do..I will come back and update you.(I mainly count the aerobic steps..) My pedometer, which i love..came with software and it tracks all this for me..So..gonna go search now..
Meet me in St. Louis! (an old movie..song?) At this rate..I will be there in Aug..Sept?
TL- Thanks for the challenge and the motivation to MOVE!

Cory said...

So I've got in 23 this week...

lisah said...

Hello All!

lisa and Janie clocking in with 12 miles each!

Military Mom said...

Back in the saddle! Wahoo! 150.5 miles total!

Susie said...

Ok--please put me down for 12 miles..That brings me to....65!!!!!!
Hoping to log lots of miles this week..Vegas?!?!?!?

debby said...

Boy, congratulations to everyone for keeping on with the challenge. It really makes me think twice when I want to skip out on my exercise.

I've gotten 25 miles in so far this week, and still have the weekend off! Hopefully I'll get in some good walks. This brings my total to 160--I'm at the next city!

Military Mom said...

I'm at 162! And I'm not done yet for the day!