Sunday, April 13, 2008

Santa Fe, New Mexico

Hi Girls!! Another week has gone by and we have all walked our 'tushes' off. It looks like we are all slowing down a little bit.. taking a break?.. thats ok. I dont want you to hurt yourself, and EVERY-BODY needs time to heal. Even walking works those muscles out. So, dont feel bad if you need to take a day or two off.

There are a couple of people who signed up and I have not heard from them since.. so I am going to ask that if you are still participating please contact me and let me know how you are doing... If I dont hear from you by next Monday then I will go ahead and remove your name from the list. I will also remove names of people who I do not hear from for 2 weeks. That way we are all up to date all the time!!

Keep it up and have another fantastic week!

SANTA FE



Construction of the Loretto Chapel was completed in 1882. Bishop Lamy who was French, commissioned a strictly Gothic design. The first Gothic structure west of the Mississippi is 25 feet by 75 and reaches a height of 85 feet.

When the building was almost finished someone noticed that while the chapel was beautiful, as was the choir loft, there was no way to get from one to other.
The sisters summonded carpenter after carpenter who told them that a 21 foot staircase in such a small space could simply not be built. Why not tear down the choir loft and begin again, both a daunting and heartbreaking task

The sisters began to pray to Saint Joseph

In answer a grey haired man with a donkey and tool chest came to the convent and asked if he might have a try at building what would be known as the Miraculous Staircase.

When the work was complete the man simply disappeared as suddenly as he appeared and couldn’t be found to accept any pay for the job. Nor was there any charges for lumber at the local lumber yard.

The photograph to the right is reprinted from the Saint Joseph Magazine April 1960.
The Miraculous Staircase has 33 steps and makes two complete turns of 360°. The staircase, unlike every other spiral staircase in the world, has no center support and no one can really explain how the thing stands up and bears weight.

Wooden pegs, rather than nails, were used.

The sisters remember the old carpenter using only hammer, saw and T square. They also remember pieces of wood soaking in tubs of water

Nobody has actually pinned down exactly where the wood in the structure came from. The wood is not native to New Mexico.

Who actually built the Miraculous Staircase? Some people think it was St. Joseph himself.

CHALLENGE:

I THINK WE ALL KNOW WHERE THIS ONE IS HEADING.... ONCE YOU REACH SANTA FE FIND STAIRS AND CLIMB AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!

9 comments:

Jill A said...

Hey TL!! Last week was better, so put me down for a total of 25 miles.

I was a little sad when I realized that hitting SanFran meant walking 42 miles, not 24!! I thought I was so there, but I'm only halfway. Oh well, can't turn back now!!

debby said...

You go, Jill! Yay for you!

Tiffany said...

Does riding my bike count for the miles? I think it should since I am so far behind. Tigerlily please email me and let me know - oconnellhouse@msn.com. I have not been blogging due to stress at work, stress about finances and last week little sleep due to fussy baby. Baby is MUCH better this week. Last week led to a not work out much at all because I was too depressed. Bad job review while fighting post partum stress symdrom and no sleep - no good. But I am much better this week. I have ridden my bike to work two day, and have gotten in extra walking and running miles. Once we get a new modem at home I will update my blog and my miles.

Jill A said...

Thanks Debby!! =)

Tiffany - hope you are having a better week!! =)

lisah said...

OK,

Janie and Lisa here...a bad week all around but here it goes

Lisa 4
Janie 7

I hate when life gets in the way of walking!

Military Mom said...

Hey girl! Logging in at 118.3 miles! How about Ali last night!

debby said...

Hi all! Great to see everyone logging in some miles! Yah, I got hooked on Biggest Loser this year, and was recording the finale, and my tape cut off at the last 5 minutes or so, can you believe it? Watching the tape this morning made me get up out of my chair and get my 6 miles in before noon-a rarity for me! So put me down for 93 miles now. Had 2 controlled food days in a row--very encouraging!

Military Mom said...

Hey girl! You're kicking my butt this week! I am at 123 miles. I'll be at the gym on the bike tomorrow though. I'll catch up!

Susie said...

I posted this on Sunday pm--but probably should have done it here--
Wow--TL and MM--go go go!! Everyone else great job too!! Please put me down for 10 this week..arghhh-2 miles short of SF. (that's b/c I took a day off too many from working out..boo hoo.) I am there and Vegas bound next week...How was/is Vegas and Phoenix? TL thank you for the effort and motivation. ps- I will finally get well into San Fran on Mon!! woo hoo.