Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Diary of a Mad Jogger

November 6 - Distance: None.

What makes me want to run? What mad melange of hubris and masochism can explain this urge to tax my body and soul to the utmost, chasing nothing, fleeing nothing, running for neither money nor glory nor to catch a bus?

I am running for my life inspired by the Adida Indians of Central America. These hardy primitives are truly the aristocrats of distance running and an adult Adida can cover 100 miles nonstop at a pace that would fell an Olympic miler. And among the Adidas, heart disease is virtually unknown. Diabetes, emphysema, stroke - all are unheard of. In fact, the Adidas have no medical knowledge whatsoever. They are completely illiterate and believe that the body is an animal they ride around in.

Easing gently into my new incarnation as a running machine (fleet, sleek, instinctive, fit beyond belief), I followed the athlete's golden maxim: "Train, don't strain". For this afternoon's workout, I wore my running shoes around the apartment for half an hour, gradually tightening my terrycloth headband. Excruciating agony.

Resting heart rate: 249 (Do you count each blub or do blub-blub blubedyblub count as one?)

Thought: "Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger", says Nietzsche, the dead philosopher.

(brought to you by Run the Planet)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This is very inspirational :-) Thanks

Jill A said...

That is so funny!! Yes, I have often eased into the run by wearing my running clothes around the house, only to take them off again as clean and sweat-free as they were when I put them on! But I believe every effort counts and you can't deny the logic of babysteps!!

Great post!!

Military Mom said...

reporting in-98 miles. And I am DONE for today. SO done.

debby said...

That is a bizarrely funny quote. I had the best day today. Not a great exercise day (I really relate to putting my shoes on and wearing them around the house.) I didn't get out to jog/walk until 6:45 pm, so I challenged myself to run as long as i could, and to really push myself on the uphill climbs, and try to make 3 miles in 45 minutes (it always takes me an hour.) I did it in 50 minutes! I am so psyched. It's because of this challenge that I even went out the door. THANKS, Tigerlily! To update my miles, I am up to 67--will I ever reach Las Vegas???

Military Mom said...

105.3 miles

Not Afraid to Use It said...

OMG this was hilarious! If I can track down Hubbie's pedometer I think I want to join in! I have started walking the kids to school in the AM. That counts, right?

Military Mom said...

Sweet! NATUI is in! I'm having a blast with this challenge, and I hope you all are too. Welcome NATUI!

Military Mom said...

Reporting in for Saturday-109.3 miles.

Hopefully I will get to the parka nd geti in a few miles tomorrow. My ankles are killing me though!

Military Mom said...

Sunday miles- 112.3 total. Guess Pheonix is a few days away still
:(

debby said...

Wow! Military Mom and Tigerlily--Congratulations! I don't think I'll ever catch up. But I'm still happy with how I'm doing--only got in 2 miles today, but it brings my total to 84 exactly--yahoo, I'm in Las Vegas! If it wasn't for this challenge, I know I wouldn't have even done the 2 miles today...I'm soooo tired. Gonna celebrate with some light popcorn and a chocolate vita-top (1 point!)

Susie said...

Wow--TL and MM--go go go!! Everyone else great job too!! Please put me down for 10 this week..arghhh2 miles short of SF. (that's b/c I took a day off too many from working out..boo hoo.) I am there and Vegas bound next week...How wasis Vegas and Phoenix? TL thank you for the effort and motivation.

Not Afraid To Use It said...

My Sunday miles: 2. It's a start. Not too bad for one day around the house! LOL