Monday, May 19, 2008

NEW YORK,NY


The Brooklyn Bridge, one of the oldest suspension bridges in the United States, stretches 5,989 feet (1825 m) over the East River connecting the New York City boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn. On completion, it was the largest suspension bridge in the world and the first steel-wire suspension bridge. Originally referred to as the New York and Brooklyn Bridge, it was dubbed the Brooklyn Bridge in an 1867 letter to the editor of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle, and formally so named by the city government in 1915. Since its opening, it has become an iconic part of the New York skyline. In 1964 it was designated a National Historic Landmark.


This memorial weekend is the 125th anniversary of the Brooklyn Bridge.


“The Brooklyn Bridge is not only one of the great engineering marvels of all time; it is also a beautiful symbol of New York that is recognized around the world,” said Mayor Bloomberg. “The wonderfully diverse events are representative of the iconic bridge that has connected the people of Brooklyn and Manhattan for generations. This is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate this legendary icon that has done so much for our City.”



“The Brooklyn Bridge made a big, bold statement right from the start,” said Brooklyn Borough President Markowitz. “In 1883, it was opened with the goal of joining the two largest municipalities in the nation at the time, New York City and the City of Brooklyn—and its glittering span of steel, stone, wood and light continues to symbolize the bond that links our fortunes forever. Today, hundreds of thousands of tourists cross the Brooklyn Bridge each year to get a taste of the ‘Brooklyn Renaissance.’ We wish the Brooklyn Bridge a Happy Birthday—in every one of Brooklyn’s136 languages. At 125 years young, she is as vital and majestic as ever!”


CHALLENGE


IN HONOR OF THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE THIS WEEKS CHALLENGE IS TO WALK AN EXTRA MILE, NOT COUNTED TOWARDS YOUR WEEKLY TOTAL!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you stopped in NYC! Not only is Brooklyn the place of my birth but home to my favorite bridge! I'll be walking it this weekend in your honor!

lisah said...

Lisa here just back from vacation. I am reporting in for Janie and I for the last two weeks.

Janie 15
Lisa 12

baby steps....

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody! We've had a couple of cool days. Good for walking. I made it to St. Louis yesterday and danced along with 'Dancing With the Stars.' I'm not sure it would have been recognized as dancing by anyone else, but I had fun. Thanks for the challenge, TL.

My total as of tonight: 215 miles!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I found my pedometer today! WooHoo!!! I am BACK in the race, baby! Yeah!

Tigerlilly said...

Hi girls, sorry I have been absent. I will add up all your miles today and get everyone caught up!

Yeah NATUI!!!!

Great job Debby... your catching up to me, I better pick up the pace! ;)

Anonymous said...

222 for the week. I made it to Memphis!