Sunday, April 6, 2008

Phoenix, Arizona

We're in week 3 girls. Blisters are forming, muscles are tightening... but we are going to keep on moving. Some of you have set your own goals every week... and I support you fully. I just ask that you don't take it easy on yourself. Push yourself to do that one last mile of the day... or that one last workout.

I know that a lot of you have not yet reached San Francisco.. don't get discouraged. I have decided to extend the end date of the challenge. That date depends on when the last person crosses the finish line in Miami Florida. There will be prizes for the first, second and third place walkers who cross the line first. I have yet to figure out what the prizes will be... but I want everyone to focus on crossing that line...(and within a reasonable time!)

So... whether you are just reaching the hills of San Francisco or the lights of Las Vegas... walk-on!!

FOUR PEAKS, AZ


Four Peaks Wilderness was established in 1984, and contains approximately 60,740 acres with a major mountain rising up in its center from the desert foothills. The Four Peaks themselves are visible for many miles, and the rapid change in elevation produces interesting plant combinations. The Peaks are located in the southern end of the Mazatzal mountain range, in eastern Maricopa County and western Gila County. It lies about 20 air-miles northeast of Apache Junction, looking down on Roosevelt Reservoir to the east, and Apache Reservoir to the south.



Location: Mazatlal mountain range of Arizona
Size and Elevation: 60,740 acres, 1,600 feet to 7,657 feet
Ecosystem: Very diverse: Climbing up, desert shading to arid grassland shading to brushy thickets, to ponderosa pine and Douglas fir forest
Features: Very rugged country: ridges, gorges, and craggy summits
Activities: Hiking, Horseback Riding


Topography



The peaks themselves are visible for long distances in all directions, and are well known landmarks in central Arizona.
There are three distinct topographic zones within the area: The craggy summits of the peaks, the complex series of ridges and drainages below the peaks, and the area of bluffs and short deep gorges bordering Apache and Canyon Reservoirs.

Elevations vary from 1,600 feet near Mormon Flat Dam to 7,657 feet at the summit of Brown's Peak, the northern-most and highest of the four peaks.


CHALLENGE:

Ok Girls... its time to get those legs in shape to do some major hiking!

25 Squats.

I want you to do all 25. If you are athletic already try adding some weights ... if you are new to squats I want you to take your time. If you have to stop and rest between them.. then thats what you do.. but make sure you do all 25!!

8 comments:

Chocolate Thistle said...

I need to update my miles - I've managed 30 this week through a combination of walking, running and fitness DVDs. I'm feeling fitter already!!

Susie said...

(i posted this yesterday..a moment before you posted this..)
Hello!!!Monday Am Check in..please put me down for 17 miles this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(30 total!!)
Thank you for getting me moving!!! And great job to the rest of you!!! WOW..superstars! I am almost to SF!!!! NEXT WEEK 4 Sure!

Jill A said...

omygosh - this week was sucky all around!! I only got in 6 miles last week ::hangs head in shame::

Getting up early is helping so I'll keep doing that and I'll reach SanFran by the end of this week!

I think I'm going to have to add in some extra activity on the weekends to add on some more miles.

I know I'm far behind, but really, I"m so much further ahead than I would have been if I hadn't started this challenge, so thank you for doing this TL. I'll catch up someday, I promise!! =)

Tiffany said...

Even if I am not very far this challenge has made me move a bit more. I hopped on the treadmill yesterday and walked for 1/2 mile with Lily in my arms instead of sitting on the couch. I am also making myself walk around town more often instead of driving.

lisah said...

Hi all,

Lisa and Janie reporting in...while we are still bringing up the rear we continue forward!

Total for last week

Janie 11
Lisa 12
Keep up the good work everyone!

Military Mom said...

I'm at 90 miles! Vegas Baby!

debby said...

Hi everyone! Finally at home--now I have to walk up and down hills again--and boy am I sore today! To get up to date on my miles, I did 4.5 on Saturday, and 5 so far today--that brings my total to 59 miles. Friday and Sunday were traveling days, so didn't get any miles in. Because all you guys are 'watching' me, I will go out and do one more mile tonight, and then collapse on the couch to watch "Dancing with the Stars!"

Military Mom said...

95 miles