Wednesday, April 2, 2008

How can I stay motivated with a walking program?

One of the best ways to stay motivated to walk is to include others. Ask family members, friends, and coworkers to join you. Join a walking group or club, or walk a dog every day. Here is a list of other tips you can try:

Buy a pedometer at a sporting goods store. A pedometer counts how many steps you take. The first time you wear it, count how many steps you normally take in a day. Wear your pedometer every day and set a goal for increasing that number of steps each day . Try to start with an increase of 2,000 steps a day and work toward 10,000.

Get others to join you and set goals as a group.

Fit a walk in wherever you can. Instead of watching TV or going out to eat, go out for a walk.

If the weather is bad, take comfortable shoes to the mall and walk several laps inside.

Walk to the grocery store, medical appointments, work, school, or shopping areas.

Walk around your neighborhood or around a park.

Schedule walks on your daily calendar.

Wear comfortable shoes and socks that cushion your feet.

Drink plenty of water. Take a water bottle with you when you walk.

Be safe and know your surroundings. Walk in a well-lighted, safe place. Carry a cell phone for emergencies.

Plan family outings around walks together. Being physically active with kids sets an example they'll follow as they grow older.

Set a goal to participate in an organized fitness walk.


***** I just had to tell 'The Girls' that you are doing fantastic!! You may not be hitting the 42 miles a week, but you are challenging yourself.. and that is what I was hoping for! Be proud of yourself and Walk-On!!************

6 comments:

Susie said...

Thank you for the tips. I am a proud Pedometer person. I shoot for 10,000 steps a day. If I am lagging..I try to park further away...run up and down the stairs some more..and just be more active. It is kind of fun to challenge myself. I plan to get some good workouts in tomorrow and Friday..and will hopefully reach SF one of these days. GREAT JOB EVERYONE!

Military Mom said...

I'm at 60 miles. This has been a really great CHALLENGE. I think the hardest part is finding the time to get in 6 miles a day. Sometimes I use the bike to get in a quick couple of miles.

debby said...

Hi All, I'm up to 49.5 miles. Yesterday I decided that each time I reach a 'city' I will do the challenge for that city the next morning, and then that day will be a day of rest for me. I might fall behind, but eventually I hope I will be able to fit in a few longer walks.

Great tips, Tigerlily. I got a blister today because I wore different socks than I usually wear. Another way I motivate myself is to have a friend drop me off at some distance from home, and to walk home. There is something fun about walking toward a goal, instead of walking out some distance and then walking back.

Military Mom, I agree with you completely about finding the time being the hardest part of the challenge. I was just saying to my friend tonight that that was frustrating to me. Are bike miles counted the same as walking miles?

Tigerlilly said...

I am accepting bike miles, pedometer miles, time spent on exorcise machines.....whatever gets you moving and sweating I will accept!

If you cant measure by miles then just keep track of the time.

1 hour = 3 miles

Great Job Debby and I agree that EVERYONE should be taking a rest day at least once a week. I did!!

Military Mom said...

74 miles,baby!!!

Of course 10 of the 14 miles (between yesterday and today) were bike miles, but I'm still counting them because I believe in sweat equity! And I rarely walk for more than a quarter mile or so. I usually run because I am training for my PT test in May, and a relay marathon on April 26th. I love this challenge because it is forcing me to train, and I really need it to pass my test.

Susie said...

Hello!!!Monday Am Check in..please put me down for 17 miles this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(30 total!!)
Thank you for getting me moving!!! And great job to the rest of you!!! WOW..superstars! I am almost to SF!!!! NEXT WEEK 4 Sure!