Monday, May 5, 2008

Memphis , TN

Hi Girls, sorry this post is a little late. For the first time in a long time I was outside enjoying life this weekend ... and completely forgot about the computer!


Memphis in May is a very fun place to be... and we have arrived just in time!


Beale St. Music Festival


May 2-4, 2008. To the world, Memphis means great music. Music lovers from around the globe gather at the Beale Street Music Festival to celebrate this vital heritage, this deep river of sound.

Three magical days. Four big stages. Thirty-three acres overlooking the Mighty Mississippi, right on the heels of historic Beale Street. More than sixty top artists. One outrageous party.

Blues, rock, gospel, R&B, alternative, and soul a spine-tingling musical variety guaranteed to shake your soul. With a growing fan base and worldwide media coverage, this stellar event sells out annually.



2008 World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest





Memphis in May's World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest is May 15 - 17, 2008 in Tom Lee Park in downtown Memphis. Hundreds of teams compete for over $90,000 in prizes and supreme bragging rights. Teams adorn their areas with elaborate decoration, trophies attesting to their boasting rights, and as one can imagine, clever and creative team names. While grilling is the main theme, the contest wouldn't be complete without the Ms. Piggie competition where grown men dress in tutus and snouts and women kick their heels (hooves) up. There is also a t-shirt competition and even a best booth contest.

Sunset Symphony


The finale event of Memphis in May International Festival is appropriately its oldest event. The Sunset Symphony featuring the Memphis Symphony Orchestra offers the perfect close to a famous month in Memphis. Begun as a way to bring the Symphony to the masses, the popular event draws thousands who come to picnic, party, play and partake of great music. The orchestra also features scores from the honored country, in 2008 Turkey, including the program opener featuring the National Anthem of the United States of America. In 2008, platinum Motown recording artists, The Four Tops, will be performing.

In 2007, Memphis in May introduced a new element to its most traditional event. The Commemorative Air Force performed a tribute to World War II in a 60-minute air show. Since the air show was such an overwhelming success, Memphis in May is presenting this show in 2008, featuring World War II historic aircrafts the Corsair, Hawker Sea Fury, Stearman and the Russian Yak.

When the sun sets, the Back Yard Burger fireworks show will begin. This dazzling presentation will be orchestrated in part with the Symphony performance, and serve as the grand finale of the 2008 Memphis in May International festival.



***CHALLENGE***

Because one of the main attractions in Tennessee is the Mississippi River this weeks challenge is going to be in the pool. (If you have access to one!) I want you to pick a number of laps... and then try to beat that number! NO SWIMMING... I want you to run them!!

If you don't have access to a pool... I want you to try and do some plank running. Get your self down into the plank position with your shoulders directly above your wrists. Without lifting your butt up to high, run in place (try to touch your knees to your chest). Try and do this for 1 minute!!

10 comments:

Jill A said...

Hey TL!! My hubs is from Memphis - how fun!!!

Strapping on the pedometer has really helped ALOT!! I was so busy over the weekend, I logged 10,000 steps both Sat &Sun!!

Total for the week = 27 miles
Total for challenge = 69 miles

Woohoo!!

Tigerlilly said...

YEAH JILL!!! I'm so glad you are doing this well!!

Tiffany said...

I am up to 108.2 - I made to Las Vegas and kept going. I was trying for Phoenix by the end of the weekend but that did not happen.

Cory said...

I'm from close to Memphis, although I've never been to Memphis in May.
24 miles this week!

Susie said...

Wow--look at you all go!!!!!Almost at Vegas as I check in with 15 miles--80 total. 4 miles to VEGAS!!!

lisah said...

Hi all,

Lisa reporting in....

Janie 5
Lisa 1

Yes we know we need to pick up the pace. Full time jobs and life keep getting in the way. I am on vacation next week so will be late in sending in our totals....Keep up the good work everyone....hopefully we will get back on track!!!

debby said...

Hi Tigerlily and all, Well, so much for good intentions for the weekend. I spend 3 days mostly in the car. But I'm back home and got in some good miles today. It was a beautiful day for walking here in the foothills!

My total as of today: 170 miles.

debby said...

Hi all! Wow, everyone's posting has slowed way down. Hopefully our walking has not. Let's all keep on walking--I know we can do it, and I want to be able to say I made it across the United States, even if it is in this virtual bloggyland world!

Right after my last post I got a nasty flu/cold, so I am sorry to say my total for the week is still 170. I am hopeful to get back at it tomorrow.

Cory said...

21.6 miles this past week.

I've started having back pain again and it put a kink in my weekend workout plan!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

My &#%@*% kids took my pedometer and I have not been able to track my progress the past 2-3 weeks. I am sure I will eventually find it in their play kitchen microwave or some such nonsense, but I am pissed nonetheless. Argh!